For dinner, I had meatloaf that was leftover from the potluck. (Thank you, Morgan and Grant!)
I steamed some broccoli and cauliflower to go with it, then added some salt and pepper, then still thought it was bland but ate it anyway. Cauliflower is much better with flavor.
For lunch, I had a whole-wheat quesadilla with sharp cheddar cheese, some stir-fried veggies, and salsa.
Quick Veggie Stir-Fry
- olive oil
- asparagus (chopped into 1 inch segments)
- onion (chopped)
- zucchini (half-round slices)
- pinto beans
Sautee the asparagus with the onions for a few minutes.
Add the zucchini and sautee for a few more minutes.
Add the beans, salt, pepper, and cumin. Sautee for a few more minutes.
At lunch time, I was craving salad rolls.
This is what salad rolls look like when I make them for other people:
This is what salad rolls look like when I make them for me:
By the time I get all of the ingredients ready, I’m usually super-hungry and impatient. So I fill the rice wrappers as full I can. They’re still tasty, just not as beautiful. I just think of them as mini-burritos.
Salad Roll Recipe (Adapted from my friend An’s recipe)
- lettuce (hard centers removed)
- cilantro (mostly removed from stems)
- carrots (thin strips made with veggie peeler)
- bean sprouts
- hemp seeds (I added these for protein. You can also add chicken, shrimp, tofu, pork, etc. I used 1 TB per roll.)
- rice vermicelli noodles (boiled 5 min, drained, and rinsed in cold water)
- rice paper wrappers
Lightly soak each wrapper in tepid water until just pliable, allow water to drip off, then lay on plate and fill the above ingredients. Fold in the ends (like a burrito), roll, then eat!
- 2 Tb hoisin sauce (note: many brands of hoisin sauce are not gluten-free, please check if you are allergic/sensitive)
- 3 Tb peanut butter
- 2 Tb water
Combine in small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high 20 seconds, stir.
Today is my first day trying hemp seed. I hear that it is a good protein source, but I want to test it and do some research before I make any long-term decisions.
I picked up this brand at Market of Choice.
I could barely taste the hemp seed in the salad rolls. I didn’t have a blood sugar crash, so I assume that it helped.
Each 3 tablespoon serving is supposed to have 10g of protein. I wonder how easily the body can access the protein/nutrients in hemp seed.